Ability and Willingness

Assalamualaikum...๐Ÿ˜‡
Hello friends ๐Ÿ‘‹
How are you today? I hope you are fine๐Ÿค—
Ok, today I will provide information about Ability and Willingness๐Ÿ‘Œ

Let's start learning it guys!๐Ÿค“

A. Ability and Disability/Incapability
    Ability in Indonesian means kemampuan. While disability/ incapability means ketidakmampuan.
Asking & Expressing Ability and Disability
•Sentences of asking ability have several pattrens, that is
1. Can + Subject + V1 + O + adv + ?
Can you ride a horse?
Can she drive a car?
2. To be + S + able + to V1 + O + adv + ?
Are you able to ride a horse?
Are he able to drive a car?
3. To be + S + capable of + V1+ing + O + ?
Are you capable of riding a horse?
Are she capable of driving a car?
Expressing ability, if you can do what someone ask, then you answer
1. Yes, I can ...
2. I am able to ...
3. I am capable of ...
Example :
1. Yes, I horse ride a horse.
2. I am able to drive a car.
3. She is capable of swimming.
Asking Disability similar with Asking Ability, the different is in the respond, that is :
1. No, I can't ...
2. I am not able to ...
3. He is not capable of ...
Example :
1. No, I can't drive a car.
2. I am not able to swim.
3. He is not capable of riding a horse.

Example dialog from book

Ria : "Look! That boy can ride on a single wheeled-bicycle. Can you do it?"
Vito : "No, I can't, but I can make acrobatic moves with a bicycle.

B. Willingness and Unwillingness
    Willingness ini Indonesian means kemauan. While Unwillingness means ketidakmauan.
Asking & Expressing Willingness and Unwillingness
Sentences of asking Willingness and Unwillingness is same and have several patterns, that is :
1. Will + S + V1 + O + adv + ?
Will you send the letter tomorrow ?
Will she come soon?
Will he give you the book?
2. To be + S + willing to + V1 + O + adv + ?
Are you willing to swim with me tomorrow?
Are he willing to give you the book
3. Would + S + (like to) + V1 + O + adv + ?
Would you like to swim with me this evening?
Would you like to send the letter?
• Expressing Willingness
1. S + will + V1 + O + adv
Example :
I will give you the book.
I will send it tomorrow.
She will come soon.
2. S + to be + willing to + V1 + O + adv
Example :
I am willing to swim with you this evening.
She is willing to give you special present.
3. S + would/ would like to + V1 + O + adv
I would like to send the letter this afternoon.
He would come soon.
Generally speaking, before say willingness, preceded by "Yes".
Example :
Yes, I will send it tomorrow.
Expressing Unwillingness, the patterns is same with Expressing Willingness, it's just added the word '' not '' before/ after the modal of willingness.
Example :
1. I will not send it tomorrow.
2. She is not willing to come this evening.
3. He is would not to give you the book.
4. I would not like to come tomorrow.
Generally speaking, before say unwillingness preceded by apologizing ( Sorry), and after say unwillingness preceded by reason.

Example dialog from book

Winda : "I'm tired. Will you print this report, please?"
Sardi : "Sorry, Win. I'm on my way to buy lunch."
Winda : "Will you buy me one too?"
Sardi : "Sure."
Winda : "Thanks"
Sardi : "OK"

Example dialog Ability+Willingness
This dialog I made my self with Comic Page Creator ๐Ÿค—
And for pronunciation, Click here!


Maybe this is all I can say. I hope this is can be useful for you. Thank you very much and see you on the next material..


References :
Deby Selvia R.N, etc. (2018) Bahasa Inggris SMP/MTs Kelas VIII Semester 1. Yogyakarta : PT PENERBIT INTAN PARIWARA



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Instruction, Obligation, Prohibition, Suggestion/Recomendation, Invitation, and Permission.

Expression of Checking Understanding