Instruction, Obligation, Prohibition, Suggestion/Recomendation, Invitation, and Permission.

Hello friends!
How are you? I hope you are well..
Today I will provide informations about Instruction, Obligation, Prohibition, Suggestion/Recomendation, Invitation and Permission.

Let's start learning it!


A. Instruction 
Instruction is the sentence said when we enjoin someone. The sosial function of instruction is enjoin someone to do something.
For examples :
Open it now, Lina.
   V1.     O . Adv
Open it, please.
   V1 .    O , please.
Will you give this note to him?
  Will . S .    V1 .      O.           Adv

Respond :
Yes
Alright
Sure

♠ Structure

1. V1 + (Object) + (Adverb)
    Do your homework now
2. Please, V1 + (Object) + (Adverb) or V1 + (Object)+ (Adverb)
    Please, open the door.
    Open the door, please.
3. Will/Would + S + V1 + (O) + (adv) + ?
    Will you open the door?
    Would you open the door?
4. Can/Could + S + V1 + (O)+ (adv) + ?
    Can you open the door?
    Could you open the door?
5. Would you like + to + V1 + (O) + (adv)+?
    Would you like to open the door?
6. Would you mind + V1+ing + (O) + (adv) +?
    Would you mind opening the door?
From the order of structure above, getting down more polite.

Example dialog :
Instructor : "Hey children, I am going to instruct you some basic techniques"
Children : "Horrey"
Instructor : "First, jump as high as you can!"
Children : "Okey, Sir"
Instructor : "Second, set your racket as comfortable as you can"
Children : "We get it, Sir"
Instructor : "Then, let's get practice now"
Children : "Let's go!"

B. Obligation
The sosial function of obligation is to express what are must we/they/I do.
For examples :
• We must wear a uniform every day.
• You have to study hard.
• You has to do five prayers on time.
Keywords in obligation is must and has/have to

♠ Structure
1. S + must + V1 + (O) + (adv)
    We must wear a uniform every day.
2. S + have to + V1 + (O) + (adv)
    You have to do five prayers on time.

Example paragraph :
   We must wear a uniform every day. From Monday to Thursday we must wear the batik shirt. The girls must wear a black skirt, and boys must wear a pair of black pants. On Friday we must wear the Scout uniform. We must wear proper shoes.

C. Prohibition
The social function of prohibition is to express what are must not we/they/I do.
For examples :
• We must not be late to school.
• We must not litter.
• You don't have to play truant the class.
• You don't has to skip the lesson.
• You don't break the rules
Keywords in prohibition is must not, don't have/don't has, and don't

Respond :
Yes
Ok
Certainly

♠ Structure
1. S + must not/musn't + V1 + ( O ) + (adv)
    We must not be late to school.
2. S + don't have/has to + V1 + ( O ) + (adv)
    You don't have to play truant the lesson.
3. S + don't + V1 +  (O) + (adv)
    You don't break the rules.

Example dialog :

Beni : "Udin, let's go out. Don't be lazy. Get up and have some exercise outside"
Udin : "Okay. Wait. Let me put on my shoes."

D. Suggestion/Recommendation
The social function of Suggestion is to express what are should we/they/I do.
For examples :
• You should change your attitude.
• You should love your body.
• We should ask Mrs. Ariyani to open the seminar.
Keyword in suggestion is should

Respond :
Okay
Alright
Of course
• Certainly
• Sure

♠Structure

1. S + should + V1 + (O) + (adv)
    You should study hard.

Example dialog :
Miss Sofi : "You'd better put your items into a backpack and handbag. You should love your body."
Edo : "You could be right. Thanks for your suggestion, Miss.
Miss Sofi : "My pleasure"

Example dialog (2)
This dialog I made my self with Comic Page Creator..

And this is a video for pronunciation Giving Suggestion

E.Invitation
The social function of invitation is to invite someone join at spesific event. 
For examples :
Come to my birthday party
   V1.                     O
Will you come to my birthday party?
   Will . S.     V1.                    O
Can you come to my birthday party?
    Can . S.     V1.                     O

Respond :
If you accept, then you use :
• Yes, ...
• Sure
• Alright
• Of course
• OK
• Certainly
If you reject, then you use :
• Sorry, I can't
• I'd like to, but I can't
And many more sentence..

♠ Structure
1. V1 + (O) + (adv)
2. Please + V1 + (O) + (adv)
    Please, come to my birthday party.
3. Will/Would + S + V1 + (O) + (adv) +?
    Would you come to my birthday party?
4. Can/Could + S + V1 + (O) + (adv) +?
    Could you come to my birthday party?
5. Would you like + to + V1 + (O) + (adv) +?
    Would you like to come to my birthday party?
6. Would you mind + V1+ing + (O) + (adv) + ?
    Would you mind coming to my birthday party?

Example dialog :
Fendi : "Where are you going, Kinar?"
Kinar : ''I'm going to the canteen. Would you like to join?
Fendi : "No, thanks. I'm full."
Kinar : "OK. I'm leaving now"

F. Permission 
The social function of permission is to asking permit to someone and get permit from someone.
For examples : 
May I use dictionary, please?
May I go camping, Mom?
May I leave the room, Sir?
The modal of permission is May
And the sentence structure of permission is
May + S + V1 + (O) + (adv) + ?

Respond :
If be permitted :
Sure. Here it is.
Yes, of course.
Sure, you may leave.
If not allowed :
Sorry, I'm using it now.
Sorry, you may not.

Example dialog :
Kinar : "Excuse me, Sir''
Mr. Jati : "Yes, Kinar. What can I do for you?
Kinar : "May I take the encyclopedia into my class, Sir?"
Mr. Jati : "I'm sorry, Kinar, you may not. You can only read any encyclopedias in this room."

Maybe this is the end for this blog. I hope this is useful.. Thank you very much and see you next time! Bye..!

References :
Siti Wachidah, etc. (2014) When English Rings a Bell. Jakarta: Gramedia

Deby Selvia R.N. , etc. (2017) BAHASA INGGRIS SMP/MTs Kelas VIII Semester 1. Yogyakarta: PT Penerbit Intan Pariwara

http://englishadmin.com/2015/09/contoh-dialog-giving-instruction-pendek-dalam-bahasa-inggris.html

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ability and Willingness

Expression of Checking Understanding